Not a big month for buying music. Odd.
Absolutely Love & Adore:
Keane “Perfect Symmetry” – Wow I LOVE this album. Did not expect to. Almost didn’t buy it! It’s a new sound for them, not as sad, and not as poppy…a bit more “anthem rock” than they used to be. You can picture these songs just filling up stadiums. Like old Snow Patrol, before they got super cheesy. Fave songs: “The Lovers Are Losing”; “Better Than This” (totally reminds me of Roxy Music “More Than This”); “Pretend that You’re Alone”; “Time to Go”.
Favorite Singles (not on any of the above albums):
- “Tiger Mountain Peasant Song” (covering Fleet Foxes) First Aid Kit – Swoon.
- “I Shall Be Released” (cover) Wilco & Fleet Foxes
- “Breathe” Calhoun
- “Honey Let Me Sing You a Song” Matt Hires
- “Hymn 101” Joe Pug
Other Albums I Liked:
- Joseph Arthur & The Lonely Astronauts “Temporary People” – So in addition to a gajillion (five?) EPs he put out ths year, there’s also this full on album. The difference, to my ear, is the EPs are a little darker, a little more digitally dirty, a little more lonely. This is a good listen.
- Ray LaMontagne “Gossip in the Grain” – As with Keane’s new album (above), LaMontagne has really expanded his ideas here. Lots of upbeat, jazzy stuff. The beginning of “You Are the Best Thing” is awesome, just marches right out and grabs you. Sure, there are still some sad, slow ones. But it’s the new, happier songs I really enjoy on this album.
- First Aid Kit “Drunken Trees” – So I ordered this after hearing their brilliant cover of Fleet Foxes (see list above). It’s allright. Their own stuff isn’t as powerful, there’s no shimmery acapello moments here. But not bad. They’ve got some room to grow.
Not really for me / but maybe for you!:
Shamefully have either not listened to at all, or not all the way through, or so few times that I can’t legitimately offer an opinion: