I was about one thing, and one thing just about only, in July tune-wise: EMPTY ORCHESTRA!!
Absolutely Love & Adore:
Empty Orchestra “Here Lies Empty Orchestra” – My friend Pam’s band swung through Chicago in July and it was honestly the highlight of my summer! I would have gone to support her at the show regardless of how they sounded: so SUPER BONUS for me when it turned out they’re great!! Totally rockin’. I saw a reviewer call them “Americana” and I guess I can go along with that. It’s that space between pop, rock and country: where there’s some twang and some beats and some great guitar playing and woah Stephen’s vocals are great!! I mean really, I can’t see why you wouldn’t love this album unless you’re a total musical noob. Faves: “Always Already” (I can hear Pammie in the background!); “Words and Music” (oh the intro to this song slays me); “It Gets Better”.
Favorite Singles (not on any of the above albums):
- “Closer Than You Think” Evertyhing Absent or Distorted
- “Beneath Your Tree” Bowerbirds
- “Earthly Bodies” J. Tillman – A Fleet Fox on his own. Nice.
- “El Paso” Jason Anderson
- “Sellout” (Live) Ryan Auffenberg (LOVE!)
Other Albums I Liked:
- Empty Orchestra “Get Well Soon” – Six earlier (? I think) songs. Fave song “Civil War”.