Things I liked about this movie in order of liking them the most:
- The soundtrack. (Mostly the rap.)
- The floating lanterns scene.
- Auntie Nan, Mom, and eventually Shawn’s fighting style.
- The “animals” we’ll call them.
- The videotape dude on the bus.
- The grandma at the beginning.
- The almost complete lack of food scenes (they eat twice in the entire movie?).
- The archery instructor.
As you can see, this movie was very badly titled since that character is not even in the top 10 reasons to see it. It’s most definitely just as much Katy and Xialing’s movie / story / journey as it is his. So while Marvel is getting maybe a little less racist (I mean, a little, there’s miles yet to go), they’re really not getting any less sexist. (This really goes for all movies, right?)
ETA: I must also point you to this New York Times review and say while it was an enjoyable way to spend two hours with a headache on a Sunday afternoon, this movie did not greatly improve my general thoughts about Marvel movies, superhero movies, cultural appropriation in Hollywood movies, or anything else. Heh.